Summer reading used to be such a drag, and now I’m making a list of books I can’t wait to tackle. Things change! Here are my favorite books I’ve read over the last year, and a few I plan to read in the next few months. If you’ve read some and have a review, post it in the comments!
Recent Books I’ve Read and Love:
1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- Great book for any Southern girl. Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job writing the dialect of the white women, black women, southern men, and showing the fears of living in Mississippi in the 1960s. Only complaint is that she did not show more of the good that was done from white women for their black help.
2. A very long list of Jodi Picoult books: Handle With Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, My Sister’s Keeper, The Pact, Perfect Match.
- I started with My Sister’s Keeper, and devoured book after book of hers. Jodi Picoult is my favorite author. She is so knowledgeable of legal and medical facts that I actually learn useful information from her story lines. Her books are long, but I get so into them and want them to keep going. No hurry to finish these…in a good way.
3. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
- Great book for any dog lover or dog owner. Garth Stein goes into his dog’s head and tells the reader what the dog is thinking that goes along with the plot of the story. A little long near the end, but worth it to get more time of Enzo’s thoughts. You’ll want to go hug your pup.
4. Are You There Vodka? It’s Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
- This book was for my book club last summer, and I thought it would be dumb and too Hollywoodish, but Chelsea Handler is hilarious, and so is her life story. The book is a series of short stories about different events. Just too funny.
Books on my “To Read” List:
1. House Rules by Jodi Picoult
2. Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
3. Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
4. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
What are you reading this summer?