Today’s recipe is brought to you by the ingredient: Dates.
Every other Monday, I participate in an ingredient challenge with a few bloggers around the country. This week’s recipe is the date, and since I already cook with them regularly, I have a few recipes to link to below.
Dates are not the most appealing dried fruit based on looks, but they are very versatile and easy to add to sweet or savory dishes. They are sticky so you don’t need extra stick like honey, and they are sweet so you don’t need extra sugar. If you like them by themselves, they would be a great simple snack. But I don’t.
I made this recipe based off of a recipe that Ashley made.
Cocoa Nut Balls
- 1 C mixed almonds and pecans (could sub walnuts, I always use pecans instead.)
- 1/2 C pitted Medjool dates
- 1 T cocoa
- 2 T coconut (mine is sweetened)
- In a food processor, pulse the nuts until they’re in pieces. Remove from food processor and add in dates. Pulse those.
- Add back the nuts, cocoa and coconut.
- Pulse until it all comes together.
- I added a few Tablespoons of water one at a time just to get them to come together easier.
- Form into balls and refrigerate or freeze.
To see the other bloggers and their recipes using dates, click their pages here: