Ok y’all, I wasn’t planning on getting into Valentine’s Day foods but I had an itch to make muffins, and thought why not make them go with the holiday. In one day, you could have breakfast and dessert from a muffin shape. I’ll think about what you could have for lunch and dinner out of a muffin. Perhaps a cornbread muffin with your dinner? Or mac and cheese cooked in little cups?
Anyway, back to these muffins…they are really good and pretty health conscious too. There’s two fruits–strawberries and bananas. There’s two nuts–pecans and peanut butter, and no butter or oils. Fluffy on the inside, nice and light.
The peanut butter flavor is pretty evident, the color is golden, and the pecans provide a nice crunch.
Strawberry Banana Nut Butter Muffins
inspired by Oh She Glows
- 1 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 C unbleached white flour
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 C almond milk
- 5 T nut butter (I used a smooth operator creamy peanut butter), warm in microwave to get a little looser for mixing
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 large banana mashed, left chunky
- 3/4 C strawberries, chopped + a few slices for topping
- Preheat oven to 375*. Grease muffin tin with Pam and set aside.
- In one bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, pecans, baking soda, baking powder).
- In medium bowl, combine wet ingredients (1 egg, beaten, peanut butter, maple syrup, milk)
- Add wet to dry and mix well.
- Fold in strawberries and banana.
- Mix well together by hand, no mixer needed.
- Scoop into muffin tin. Should make 12 large muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.
Does this little plate say “Be my valentine?” or what?
P.S. New story on CultureMap about Valentine’s Day etiquette. I met Lizzie Post, the great-great granddaughter to etiquette expert Emily Post. We talked about how to shop smart for V-Day.