Rice Krispy Treats just make you happy. They snap, crackle and pop, are gooey and sugary and delicious.
This version of rice krispy treats are a little more grown up for a more sophisticated palette, although I doubt a child would turn their nose at these. They use brown rice crisps, cocoa, and peanut butter instead of butter, marshmallows, and regular rice crisps. Chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven, don’t you think?
I made these treats for my poker group last week. I won $9 from the girls so I was glad I could feed them these delicious bites to make up for taking their money.
They are also no-bake bites, and are whipped up in no time at all. It’s one of those recipes that takes longer to do the dishes than it does to cook. Luckily, you freeze these for an hour or so before cutting to make sure you do the dishes. And eat a proper dinner before indulging.
Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats
(adapted by Oh She Glows)
- 1/2 C peanut butter (I used creamy)
- 1/2 C brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 C almond milk
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 C crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 C chocolate chips
- Line an 8 inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper going each way.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together peanut butter, brown rice syrup, vanilla, and almond milk over low heat. Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Once combined, add cocoa powder and salt. Stir so it doesn’t burn until combined.
- Add in 3 cups of rice crispies and remove from heat. Add chocolate chips. Stir well to combine everything.
- Pour into parchment paper and press down firmly.
- Freeze for 30-60 minutes before cutting into squares.
- After they are cut, freeze again until serving.
With no sugar, eggs, or oil, what’s so bad about this? It has healthy fats and brown rice crisps. Again, it’s like a health food. I only have your best interests in mind. Especially for my poker group, three of them have buns in their ovens! These have little guilt with their wholesome ingredients.