Happy Spring! This soup reminds me of Spring. It’s light, clean, and simple, great for the season when we realize winter is gone and we can’t be shielded by sweaters and coats. This soup will get you ready for summer. That’s a powerful soup claim!
Yesterday I show you cookies, today I show a vegetable soup. That’s how we roll, indulge and then eat clean. Repeat.
This soup is kind of like a Broccoli Cheese soup, but I don’t want to mislead you if you think it tastes a little more earthy and less decadent. I also haven’t had authentic Broccoli Cheese Soup in a million years, so I don’t really remember what it tastes like.
It kind of looks like a Green Monster in a bowl, but tastes more earthy. The cheese stirred in makes in nice and cheesy.
(serves 3 dinner size or 5ish soup course size)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 crown of fresh broccoli or 1.5 C frozen broccoli, a few florets reserved for the end
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 C frozen spinach
- 1 can Great Northern beans
- 3 C vegetable broth
- 1 T salt, 1 tsp pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T fresh rosemary
- dash cayenne pepper
- cheese and extra broccoli for garnish
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, coat bottom with olive oil.
- Saute onion, garlic and carrot until soft and onion is starting to become translucent. Don’t let garlic burn
- Add broccoli and let soften too.
- Add broth, beans (drained), and frozen spinach. Let cook together.
- If your spinach has not thawed, break it into pieces and it will thaw quicker in the soup once heated.
- Add salt and pepper and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
(not so pretty before blending! but it smells good.)
- Remove a few broccoli florets for after blending and set aside.
- Blend everything in a blender or with hand blender.
- Pour back into soup pot to heat up and add whole broccoli florets back in for some bite.
- Garnish with broccoli on top and cheddar cheese.
This would be a great soup for a night when you want a simple and clean dinner, or good for leftovers for lunch too. The protein comes from the hidden beans and cheese, and it’s choc-full of vegetables. Comes together fast and keeping some broccoli whole makes it seem like a heartier dinner than a green smoothie texture. Healthy, earthy, clean, delicious.
What are your go-to dishes for super clean eating?