This fruity and zesty muffin is perfect for a Spring breakfast. It’s light and airy, not too bad for you, and perfect to grab on the go. There are ways to healthify this more, but I just wanted a classic blueberry muffin with a little twist by adding orange zest.
You could take out the sugar and sub a natural sweetener. You could sub the egg for a flax egg (1 T flax meal + 3T water), and you could sub applesauce for canola oil. That would probably end up fine, but I wanted a good, solid blueberry muffin.And that is what I made.
I really enjoy taking a muffin and two hard boiled egg whites for an on-the-go breakfast. Paired with strawberries or half a banana and you have a well balanced way to start your day. Bonus points if you store these in the fridge and let it defrost on your way to work. That’s really grab and go. You can also microwave for 20 seconds.
Blueberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (zest of one orange)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Combine orange rind, juice, oil, and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in blueberries and nuts. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with 1 T sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.
- Carefully remove each muffin; place on a wire rack.